TikTok seems to be coming for Instagram with its latest feature, Photo Mode. As suggested by its name, the new carousel format allows users to share high quality images on the app.
While Instagram has been trying to compete with TikTok by emulating the short-form video platform, with this new update, TikTok appears to be taking a page out of its rival’s book. Currently available on mobile only, Photo Mode allows you to publish multiple still images in carousel posts.
At first glance, TikTok’s version of the carousel feature is not that much different from Instagram’s. However, there’s one small yet unique detail that separates the two. With TikTok’s Photo Mode, users will have the option to add music to soundtrack their images. That’s something you can’t do with feed posts on Instagram.
“We’ve already seen incredible ingenuity from our community with Photo Mode — with slideshows that feature artwork, fashion diaries, photography, and more,” TikTok shares in a blog post.
When creating slideshows using Photo Mode, users can pair them with captions of up to 2,200 characters — an increased character count that TikTok recently announced. You can expect to see these photo posts on your For You Page alongside video posts.
In addition to Photo Mode, TikTok is rolling out new editing tools designed to help creators easily adjust clips, sounds, images, and text. Here’s an overview of the new features:
- Edit clips: Stack, trim, and split video clips.
- Edit sounds: Cut, trim, and set the duration for sounds.
- Edit and position text: More easily edit, position, and set the duration for text.
- Add overlays: Add photo and video overlays for picture-in-picture (or video-in-video) stacking.
- Adjust video speed: Speed or slow the pace of video clips.
- Frame content: Rotate or zoom in and out of frame of individual clips.
- Add sound effects
While you are here, check out a content creator’s tips for editing TikTok videos.
Follow The Leap on TikTok and Instagram for more creator economy news. We also make a newsletter.