If you are a creator looking to sell digital products online, you may have heard of Gumroad.
Gumroad is a platform that allows creators to sell both physical goods and digital products, such as ebooks, templates, music, videos, and more. While it is a popular online marketplace among creators, Gumroad has recently increased its fees, now charging a 10% flat fee from users for every sale they make. For some, this change has prompted a need to explore other platforms that take a smaller cut from their users.
Whether you’re looking for a platform that helps you keep more of your earnings, or one that offers more specialized features, find eight of the best Gumroad alternatives below.
Need help making your first sale online? Download The Leap’s free checklist for selling your first digital product.
SendOwl is a platform that allows you to sell digital products, subscriptions, as well as memberships. It offers features such as customizable checkout pages, automatic delivery, and integration with various payment gateways. With SendOwl, you can easily set up your storefront and start selling your digital products in minutes.
- Easy to use with a clean and straightforward interface.
- Offers a wide range of features, customizable checkout pages, and provides a built-in affiliate marketing system.
- Features to help you optimize your sales, such as the ability to offer discounts and upsells.
- Limited design options for product pages and checkout pages.
- Lacks some advanced marketing features offered by competitors.
Pricing starts at $15/month for the basic plan, with additional plans available for more advanced features.
Is SendOwl right for you?
Overall, SendOwl is ideal for small to medium-sized digital businesses that need an all-in-one solution for selling digital products, managing affiliates, and automating product delivery. You can sign up here if interested.
Payhip is a platform that allows you to sell digital products and memberships. Its key features include customizable landing pages, automatic delivery, as well as integration with various payment gateways. If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to create an online storefront for selling your digital products, Payhip could be a good option.
- Affordable pricing.
- Easy to use.
- Provides analytics and reporting tools.
- Limited design options for product pages.
- Lacks some advanced marketing and automation features offered by competitors.
- Does not offer a subscription feature, which may be a turnoff for creators who are looking to offer ongoing access to their products.
Payhip’s free plan charges 5% fees per transaction. Meanwhile, its paid plans start at $29/month, with 2% fees charged per sale.
Is Payhip right for you?
Payhip is ideal for creators looking for a simple and user-friendly platform to sell digital products, especially those who want to sell products directly from social media channels. You can get started here.
Sellfy is a platform designed specifically for creators selling physical merchandise and digital products. With Sellfy, you can sell everything from ebooks and music, to video courses and software. The platform offers customizable storefronts and checkout pages, as well as a range of payment and delivery options.
- Ease of use.
- Flexibility in pricing as well as product options.
- Ability to sell both digital and physical products.
- Provides a range of marketing and promotional tools and customizable product pages.
- Integrates with various third-party platforms.
- Limited design options for product pages and checkout pages.
- Lacks some advanced automation and customization features offered by competitors.
Pricing for Sellfy starts at $19/month. There are also additional plans available for more advanced features.
Is Sellfy right for you?
In short, Sellfy is ideal for creators looking for an all-in-one e-commerce solution to sell digital and physical products. If that sounds like a good fit, you can sign up here.
Ko-fi is a platform designed to help creators monetize their content through small, one-time payments from their supporters. One key advantage of Ko-fi is its focus on community-building. The platform offers features like live streaming and messaging to help creators connect with their audience and build a following. Additionally, Ko-fi offers a range of integrations with platforms like Twitch, YouTube, and Discord, making it a great option for creators who are active on multiple platforms.
- Simplicity and easy integration with social media platforms.
- No listing fees or transaction fees.
- Integrated payment system with PayPal, Stripe, and Apple Pay.
- Option to receive support without the pressure of ongoing subscription payments.
- Limited customization options.
- The need for additional services to offer recurring payments.
- Limited analytics features and marketing tools.
Ko-fi is free to use, but it does charge a 5% commission fee on sales made through its platform. Creators can also upgrade to Ko-fi Gold for $6/month to access additional features like multiple payment options, custom branding, and more.
Is Ko-fi right for you?
In summary, Ko-fi is a great platform for creators who want to sell digital products, physical merchandise, and offer paid subscriptions to their audience. It is best suited for artists, writers, and podcasters who want to get financial support from their audience. Check out its website to learn more.
SamCart is an e-commerce platform designed to help businesses sell their products online. The platform offers features such as one-click upsells, order bumps, and customizable checkout pages to increase conversion rates. Besides, it integrates with various payment gateways and email marketing services. Other key features include a drag-and-drop editor for checkout pages, built-in A/B testing, and the ability to offer subscriptions, payment plans, and free trials.
- User-friendly interface.
- High-converting checkout pages.
- Powerful marketing features to help creators optimize their sales funnels and increase revenue.
- Integrations with popular payment processors and email marketing platforms.
- More expensive than some other platforms.
- Limited design customization options.
SamCart’s Basic plan starts at $49/month, while the Pro plan costs $99/month. There is also a Premium plan for $199/month, which includes additional features like advanced reporting and affiliate management.
Is SamCart right for you?
SamCart is a good option for creators who want to sell digital products and physical goods, and are looking for a powerful marketing solution. In particular, it is ideal for creators who are already established and have a large audience. Explore more of SamCart’s features on its website.
Shopify is an all-in-one e-commerce platform that allows creators and businesses to build and customize their own online stores, selling digital and physical products. The platform offers a variety of features including website templates, a point of sale system, and integration with various payment gateways and shipping carriers. Additionally, Shopify provides various tools for managing orders, inventory, and customer data.
- Extensive app store for additional features.
- Mobile-responsive design.
- Robust analytics capabilities with robust e-commerce features.
- Wide range of integrations.
- Monthly fees can add up and be costly.
- Transaction fees on sales made through third-party payment processors.
Shopify’s Basic plan starts at $29/month, while the Shopify plan costs $79/month. The Advanced Shopify plan costs $299/month and includes additional features like advanced reporting and third-party shipping rates.
Is Shopify right for you?
Overall, Shopify is an excellent platform for creators looking to sell digital products, physical goods, and services. It is best suited for creators who have an established brand and want to expand their e-commerce presence. Additionally, Shopify offers a range of resources and support options, including a community forum and 24/7 customer support, making it a great option for creators. You can learn more on the Shopify website.
Etsy is a popular marketplace for handmade and vintage goods, but it also offers options for creators selling digital products like printable art and digital downloads. With Etsy, creators can set up a shop and reach a large audience of buyers who are already interested in unique and creative products.
One key advantage of Etsy is its built-in audience. The platform has a large and active community of buyers, making it easy for creators to reach potential customers. Moreover, Etsy offers custom listing options and marketing tools to help creators promote their products and grow their businesses.
- Large and engaged community of buyers.
- Easy to set up and use.
- Access to global market.
- Support for a wide range of products.
- Limited customization options for your shop.
- High transaction fees.
- More suited for physical products than digital products.
Etsy charges a $0.20 listing fee for each product and takes a 6.5% transaction fee on the sale price.
Is Etsy right for you?
Etsy is best suited for creators who are looking to sell digital products alongside physical products, or who have a unique or handmade product that would fit well within the Etsy community. Overall, it’s ideal for creators who are just starting out and want to test the waters with their products. To sign up, visit the Etsy website.
8. Easy Digital Downloads
Finally, Easy Digital Downloads is a WordPress plugin that allows you to sell digital products on your website. It offers features such as customizable purchase receipts, discount codes, and integration with various payment gateways. With Easy Digital Downloads, you can easily create a digital storefront that is fully customizable to your needs. In addition, you can track your sales and earnings in real-time, as well as manage your customers and orders.
- Easy to use.
- Affordable pricing.
- Integrates with various payment gateways.
- Has an extensive library of plugins and add-ons.
- Limited design options and customization.
- No built-in affiliate marketing support.
- Lacks some features offered by competitors.
Easy Digital Downloads’ plans start at $99/year. There is also a free version available with limited features.
Is Easy Digital Downloads right for you?
All in all, Easy Digital Downloads is a good choice for small to medium-sized digital businesses that want a straightforward platform to sell their products. However, it may not be suitable for businesses that require extensive customization options. To sign up, visit its website.
You’ve got options!
To conclude, if you are a creator looking to sell digital products online and want to avoid paying high fees, there are various Gumroad alternatives available. Each platform has its own unique features and benefits, including ease of use, customizable options, integration with payment gateways, built-in reporting and analytics, and more. Depending on your specific needs and budget, you can choose the platform that best suits your needs. By considering these alternatives, you can maximize your profits and grow your business!
Follow The Leap on TikTok and Instagram for more monetization tips for creators. We also make a newsletter.